Monday, May 10, 2010

Live from New York

This weekend I did something I probably haven't done since 9th grade: I stayed up specifically to watch Saturday Night Live. While host Betty White was a draw, after her much publicized internet renaissance, I was most excited to see the episode's special guests. In honor of mother's day, several female cast members (and moms) of the past decade returned en masse. I was excited to see Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler back on SNL, and the writing and performances did not disappoint.

In recent years I have had little interest in SNL, only watching the "best" clips online the day after. This week's episode was high-energy, consistently funny, and somewhat meaningful. Here were all these hilarious women in one place, with their humor unflagging. I don't know how much the episode's success was due to them, or the writing, but it has been so long since the show has garnered my interest, that something must have been done right.

Highlights of the night were the return of "Delicious Dish," Amy Poehler being adorable in a "Gingey" sketch, and Tina Fey and Betty White reworking a classic Tim Meadows/Christopher Walken census sketch. Enjoy this "Debbie Downer" sketch, which did not make the live show, but which has all of the episode's ladies on hand to support Rachel Dratch's fantastic title character.

No comments: