Monday, April 30, 2007

trailer rundown

So, I decided it's time to get back into one of my favorite high school pastimes. Spending hours looking at movie trailers online. Here's a few that look worth mentioning:

The TV Set (Now Playing)
Well, I'm interested in the theme of this film - I like the self-reflexive look at the film and TV industry, but I'm not sure if the mood is going to strike the right balance between Punch-Drunk Love and I Heart Huckabees. Anyway, I expect good things from Justine Bateman, David Duchovny, Sigourney Weaver, and Judy Greer, so I may actually see this in theaters instead of netflixing it...


The Ex (May 11)
Since the disastrous experiment in feeling bad, The Last Kiss, hopefully Zach Braff has realized how important it is that he keep himself involved in projects that are in some way comedic. This movie doesn't look like it will be a comedy to remember for years or anything, but I think the three leads have proven themselves before, and I am always jonesing for more Jason Bateman.


Severance (May 18)
So the first half of the trailer looked like the film would be too slow and low-budget to pull off "dark" without being interesting enough. Once I realized that it's a dark comedy and a slasher movie, I got more excited. I've never really been into the slasher genre, but this seems like it won't be taking that aspect of the film as seriously as it will treat the characters and the social commentary. Plus, Laura Harris from "Dead Like Me"!


Paprika (June 1)
Yoooooooowza... I am woefully unfamiliar with Japanese filmmaking, but this looks like it might be the thing that gets me to sit and watch anime with an eagerness I've never felt before. I mean, I know nothing about the story from the trailer, but visually, it looks like it could be one of the best movies I've ever seen.


Across the Universe (September 28)
MFers took the idea for a Beatles movie musical that I had when I was in the shower in high school and did it so much better than I ever could. Dammit. Seriously though, this looks stunning. Hopefully I can get the image of Evan Rachel Wood and Marilyn Manson doin' it out of my head enough to enjoy this...


The Savages (TBD)
Yesssss! More Philip Seymour Hoffman to turn me on... this movie looks great. What Little Miss Sunshine would be if there were no minors or opportunities to laugh out loud. I'm being serious, I really think this will be moving and funny, and I am really looking forward to the interaction between PSH and Laura Linney. With both of them signed on, I don't really know if I have to say anything else.


This was fun...I'll have to look through more trailers later!

No comments: