Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pain Don't Hurt

I feel it's important to take a moment to acknowledge the passing of Patrick Swayze, who at age 57, succumbed to his ongoing battle with pancreatic cancer yesterday evening. To most people, he was Johnny Castle, the hardened dance instructor and love interest from Dirty Dancing, or Sam the clay-covered spectre from Ghost. To others he was the inadvertently comic tough guy from Road House or Red Dawn, and in later life, he may have been a joke to some.

Patrick Swayze was a wonderfully talented dancer who managed to parlay his skill into a decades-long career as a film and television actor, with roles that will be remembered long after his death.

Like most girls, I will remember him as Johnny the most. I loved his performance in Donnie Darko, and will always cherish To Wong Foo: Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.

I'll end this on a half-joking note. I think Swayze had a sense of humor about himself, and I promise that my intentions are good, so I will wistfully say...

Patrick Swayze: He's like the wind.

No comments: