Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"we need to do some pick-ups"

So yesterday afternoon was spent navigating the midday traffic on the 10 and the 101, figuring out how to park at the Grove (for all the times I've been to the farmers' market, I had never been to the Grove before - can you believe it?) walking in heels on uneven pavement while my blister constantly reminded me of its existence, and clapping and screaming when told. It was totally worth it, though, because yesterday I got to be in the studio audience for one of my favorite TV shows, So You Think You Can Dance!

Because of where we were standing in the audience, it is unlikely that we'll have ended up onscreen during the reaction shots, but I'll at least be paying close mind tomorrow to see if I can identify my "rolled R scream" (think Speedy Gonzales) which I tried to throw in at random intervals.

I am not supposed to say much about the routines before it airs, so I will just say that since we are now down to the top ten, the show is comprised of ten solos and five partner routines. The dancers are no longer paired with the partners they've gotten used to, but select a random partner each week, along with their randomly selected genre. Viewers will vote for the individual dancers, and the man and woman with the least amount of votes will be sent home, because the judges now have no say in that (except Nigel, because he is also a producer). This week the solos were all the same politically conscious routine choreographed by Wade Robson. Though I appreciate how forcing the audience to watch each dancer do the same choreography makes us judge them separately from the choreography, I hope that they start shaking tings up a little bit, because it just seemed like all the dances blended together after a while.

Cat Deely looked amazing, as did Mia Michaels. It was cool to see the judges, the choreographers, and the dancers still in the competition, but for SYTYCD fans such as myself, the real celebrities were the past competitors who were in the audience. Benji and Heidi from last season's top four were there of course, to support their sister/cousin (respectively) Lacey. Snejana who became "Snow" was there as well, looking super hot and uber Russian. Dmitri of the ripped shirt placket was there as well, who choreographed one of the hottest dances the show has ever seen. But my girl friend and I were most excited to see Hok, who sat right behind us, and was probably amused at how we kept turning around to peek at him while we debated whether or not we should wave. I did. I'm lame, get over it.

So tune in tomorrow night for this week's episode of SYTYCD! I meanwhile, and just a little more than halfway done with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's really good, and this is the longest it's ever taken me to finish a Harry Potter book. I just get distracted chatting about it with my roommate! Thursday morning I will be leaving with a couple of friends for three days at Comic Con in San Diego. Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to blog about either Harry Potter or Comic Con until August, when I get back from the vacation I'm going on next week.

No comments: